Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Back to the theme...

Back in July of 1995 I was working at a pizza supplies warehouse in Staten Island. I'd work a 7am to 11am shift, loading trucks and restocking the warehouse.

The refrigerated room was always a good place to work, given the 90+ degree heat and high humidity. The high value items in the warehouse (sausage, Jamaican beef patties, spices) were kept on the top palette shelf. There was no ladder in the room. To get to the top, you had to climb several palettes stacked in steps. Think Mario Brothers combined with Tetris.

One day, after a quick load of the 8 outbound trucks, they sent me in to FIFO the top shelf (restock the items from back to front). I climbed on top of a palette of 40 cases of Mozarella cheese, and was deposited on top of two other palettes of the same. After about 15 minutes up there, I had a revelation:
40 cases per palette times 50 pounds per pallete times 3 cases = 600 lbs

I was standing on 3 tons of cheese.

Unfortunately I began to shout this realization out loud. Several times. Loudly.

This prompted a visit from Pablo:
"Blanquito, que gritas?!!"

"Nada. Hay mucha quesa aqui..."

"Aye conyo diablo!!! Que stupido..."

In an unfortunate twist of fate, I became lactose intolerant three years later.

No comments: