Friday, September 12, 2008

PS 16

My first elementary school was PS 16. I've heard it was the 5th worst public school in New York City. I can neither confirm or deny that.

They used to seat us in order of height. For several years I was seated between my good buddy, Puffy Haired Paul, and some crazy girl named Jennifer who would frequently declare her love for me.
I also had a buddy on the tall kid size of the room, but I can't remember his name. He was thick-necked blond kid who decided I would be the brains of the operation, and he would be the braun.

Other than ocasional field trips to sweat-shops in the area, the only clear memories I have of my public school days were the BlackJackets. They were a Puerto Rican gang who terrorized the playground. They were 5rth graders who had been held back so many years that they were in their early teens. They were reputed to carry switchblades and run drugs for the intermediate school gangs.

Thank God I had some muscle on my side.

No comments: